Dental Crowns with Affinity Dental of La Mesa
If you have broken teeth, fractured or leaking fillings, or damage from decay, dental crowns may be the solution. Dental crowns protect and strengthen a tooth that cannot otherwise be restored with fillings. A dental crown (or cap) is a covering that encases the entire tooth, restoring it to its original strength – and improving your smile. If you are ready to restore your teeth and enhance your smile, Affinity Dental of La Mesa can help you!
Unlike most of the human body, teeth do not have extensive healing capabilities, and once the enamel (surface) of the tooth is injured in some manner, it does not have the ability to heal itself. A dental crown, also known as a cap, is a covering that encases the entire surface of a damaged tooth and is placed to stabilize, restore, and prevent further damage. Crowns are also often used to restore and strengthen teeth after root canal therapy which weakens a tooth.
There are several reasons one might require a crown, including:
- Teeth damaged due to trauma.
- Broken or fractured teeth.
- Decayed teeth.
- Fractured or leaking fillings.
- Large fillings that weaken teeth.
- Teeth that have had a root canal.
- Cosmetic enhancement.
There are several types of crowns. Years ago, gold was the material of choice; then, porcelain fused to metal (PFM) crowns were used. Today, most crowns are made of ceramics like Zirconia. They are precision-engineered to create a beautiful fit, are highly durable and will last many years. They contain no metal and are made to match the shape, size, and color of your teeth, giving you a long-lasting, beautiful smile.
At Affinity Dental of La Mesa, we make the process of getting a dental crown as simple and straightforward as possible. On your treatment appointment the damaged tooth is prepared, an impression is taken, and a temporary crown is placed while the custom ceramic crown is being created at the laboratory. At the next appointment, the temporary crown is removed, the tooth is thoroughly cleaned, and the permanent crown is affixed to the tooth using luting cement. Voila! Your tooth is completely restored, and a beautiful smile is created.
Advantages of ceramic crowns include:
- No metal – Unlike traditional porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns, there is no metal in ceramic crowns, so there are no unsightly metal bands visible near the base of the tooth and no metal in your mouth.
- Biocompatibility – Ceramic crowns have been engineered to encourage the gums to grow back around them. This means, eventually, full gum symmetry and stability is achieved.
- Exact color matching – Ceramic crowns can be created in a color that will perfectly match the color of existing teeth.
- Custom fitting – Highly skilled technicians create custom ceramic crowns to ensure that a perfect fit is achieved.
At Affinity Dental of La Mesa, we work closely with our patients to determine the dental solution that is right for them. When you come in for your examination and consultation, we will carefully evaluate your damaged or decayed teeth, and discuss your options for restoration. In many cases, dental crowns are an affordable, long-lasting solution to restore your damaged teeth and your beautiful smile. If you are ready to find out how you can restore your teeth and your smile with dental crowns, click here or call us at (619) 697-2800 today!